Friday, November 4, 2011

MUSINGS

I stopped at the perfume counter in Macy’s the other day while in Traverse City. I had been reading an article saying that every woman has a “signature fragrance” and I was wondering what mine might be.

In the 60’s and early 70’s I loved patchouli ( the hippie fragrance).


Occasionally someone passes me by wearing patchouli and my thoughts wander back to the days of wearing my favorite army jacket (purchased at the army surplus store), unfiltered cigarettes, listening to Bob Dylan on the stereo and idealistic dreams of a better world.

 Like the “Occupy” people in the news today we were driven by vision more than wisdom - exuberance more than experience and hope that a better world can come from the hand and mind of man; little realizing that it can only come from God.

Idealism was quietly hidden away and replaced with responsibility as I married and we raised a big family. Two daughters brought hair spray and perfume into my life for the first time. I thought a daily shower and good soap was all the fragrance I needed. There probably was one fragrance that defined me. Having had a bad neck all my adult life I guess  the one fragrance that really said, “ME” was Tiger’s Balm, but is that the fragrance I really want to be remembered by??


That thought is what took me to Macy’s last week-I was truly a stranger in a strange land at the perfume counter. A young woman came over to help me and we sprayed little pieces of white cardboard with different perfumes--I just knew I was going to get a headache as all the smells began to blend into one another--I had sprayed some on my wrists (when the salesgirl wasn’t looking) and on my arms and now I was feeling rather sick.

I left without a purchase-   actually, I felt like running out of the store but controlled myself and walked slowly as if I were still contemplating buying something. Where was Anna or Lena when I really needed them--how did I ever go into the perfume section all alone!

At home I thought about fragrance some more and remembered that God has something to say about the subject. There is a fragrance He desires for us.

2 Corinthians 2:14-16
King James Version (KJV)
14Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour (sweet aroma) of his knowledge by us in every place.
15For we are unto God a sweet savour(fragrance) of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish:
16To the one we are the savour(aroma) of death unto death; and to the other the savour(aroma) of life unto life.

May we put on the sweet fragrance of Christ that draws all people to Him--I did not know where true freedom lay back in the 60’s and 70’s-now I know--In Christ is found new life and that better world that we all seek.

Matthew 11:27-29
King James Version (KJV)
28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
John 3:15-17
King James Version (KJV)
15That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful privilege God has given to those who hearts have been cleansed by Him to have that sweet savour(fragrance) of Christ. The greatest blessing in my life after salvation is a wife whose life is a continual sweet fragrance for our Lord.

    ReplyDelete