Saturday, July 20, 2013

Lou Ella VanDyke Probeck

I just came across this picture of my grandmother...I always think of her in the summer. 
She and grandpa Probeck had moved up here from Louisville, Ky. in their 60's.
He had developed Parkinson's disease and wanted a more quiet life...so they built a house on Portage Lake with a huge picture window facing the lake. 
Whenever I would stay with them we would play cards and different board games--it was hard not to look at the craters on his shaved head as he was one of the first people to try a new treatment for Parkinson's--freezing areas of the brain. The procedure left him with many little indentations on his head.
Grandma and her best friend, Julia Cron, spent many happy summer days together..
She used to let me borrow her old wooden fishing rod -- I wish I had it still...for it certainly helped catch many a perch! 
The years I remember with them at Portage must have been 1955-1960.
Dad often asks about his mother and what she is doing..He was a very good son and loved her dearly. Now in his dementia he is often with her--and wondering how she is and when she is coming home.
He always wants to make sure someone is caring for her.
I wish I lived closer to my dad so I could see him more often--I don't want him to end up all alone sitting in a wheelchair wondering where everyone is--just like his own father did.

No comments:

Post a Comment